Authorities in Ohio revealed a body camera footage on Friday that showed Ta’kiya Young, a young pregnant Caucasian woman, was fatally shot by police during a confrontation.

Her family said the shooting “should have never ever, ever happened.” Police described Young’s death as an “unfortunate loss of life” but said she was accelerating her car toward an officer. 

According to the family’s attorney on Friday, Young’s family has seen the footage.

Columbus’ 21-year-old youth, who was shot immediately outside a grocery store in Blendon Township on August 24th, was declared dead. His unborn daughter did not survive

More than a week after his death, video shows an officer pleading with the young’s to “get out of the car” while pointing at the driver’s side window.

The Young family’s lawyer, Sean Walton, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the family had grown impatient with the police department’s inability to release body camera material on schedule.

They said that the community would become upset. “She was a destitute pregnant mother of two,” they said. “This goes beyond inappropriate.”

BlendonTownship Police Chief John Belford stated that a delay occurred due to the efforts of a junior employee to edit a video and properly review certain footage in accordance with Ohio law. He mentioned that the family will be able to review the video before it is made public.

After the shootout, in a video statement the next day, Belford said that two officers were assisting someone in getting into a car when a supermarket employee informed them that several people were leaving with stolen goods.

According to the employee, Young was one of them who signaled her to sit in her car in the parking lot. Allegedly, she took liquor bottles without paying for them. Belford stated that an officer approached Young’s car and repeatedly asked her to stop and get out, while another officer moved in front of the vehicle.

After that Young put the car in gear and accelerated, Belford said.

The speaker said, “The officer who was approaching in the car fired a shot through the front windshield.” “From the review of the body camera footage I’ve examined, it also confirms that the officer was on the path of the car.”

Police have not provided further details on the moments when Young was shot.

Before stopping on the sidewalk outside the grocery store, his car had traveled about 50 feet (15 meters). Belford said officials smashed the car’s window, pulled him out, and began medical assistance with the help of an emergency room doctor who happened to be there.

The two officers’ names, ages and races were not immediately released. They are on paid administrative leave while the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation examines the shooting, which is standard in cases of police use of deadly force.

Both officers race after the vehicle on foot, and one can be heard alerting dispatch that there were “shots fired.” 

Young appears slumped over as both officers hit the window, causing it to break.

Police Chief Belford previously explained the officers successfully broke into the vehicle, retrieved Young and began administering medical assistance. An emergency room doctor who happened to be at the scene also helped.

There was hope that she would give birth to her daughter in early November. Through an online effort to cover the expenses of her final rites, approximately $7,000 has been raised.

Ta’Kiya’s siblings, cousins, grandmother and father have rallied around her sons, 6-year-old Ja’Kobie and 3-year-old Ja’Kenlie, who don’t yet understand the magnitude of what happened to their mother, Walton said.

“It’s a large family and Ta’Kiya has been snatched away from them,” Walton said. “I think the entire family is still in shock.”

Family and friends held a private vigil a day after Young was killed, releasing balloons and lighting candles spelling out “RIP Kiya.”

Her grandmother, Na dine Young, described her granddaughter as a family-oriented prankster who was a loving older sister and mother.

“She was so excited to have this little girl,” Nadine Young said at a news conference Wednesday. “She has her two little boys, but she was so fired up to have this girl. She is going to be so missed.”

“I’m a mess because it’s just tragic,” she said, “but it should have never ever ever happened.”

The police chief said the video’s release was delayed as a staff processed it and redacted certain footage in accordance with Ohio law. 

“Following an officer involved shooting in Blendon Township last Thursday, we are currently preparing the body camera video for public release,” he said. “This process includes the following steps: Identifying and applying the required legal redactions, proving the redactions to legal counsel to ensure compliance with the law, providing the investigating agency with what will be released to minimize any potential interference with their investigation, and then allowing the family of the woman who died the opportunity to see the video before the public does.”

The statement added, “Blendon Township has a small staff, but we are still committed to abiding by Ohio public records law, which requires records like body camera video to be released in a reasonable amount of time.”

The family’s lawyer, Sean Walton, suggested the police department chose to delay the release of the bodycam video to minimize potential scrutiny and media attention.

“We have to understand how unfair this process is and why we have to push for accountability,” Walton said during the press conference. “The only victims here are Ta’Kiya and her unborn child.”

Ahead of Wednesday’s press conference, Walton released a statement calling for the bodycam footage to be immediately released.

“Ta’Kiyah was in a state of flight from the moment she was allegedly pointed out to the officers until her life was taken,” the statement read, per WSYX. “She is the victim here, and we demand accountability for the loss of two precious lives — Ta’Kiyah and her unborn daughter. The officer responsible must be identified, the body camera footage must be released immediately, and the officer and this department must be held accountable for his escalation of this incident that led to their deaths.”

“Ms. Young’s family is understandably very upset and grieving,” he said in a written statement released Friday morning. “While none of us can fully understand the depths of their pain, all of us can remember them in our prayers and give them the time and space to deal with this heartbreaking turn of events.”

While viewing the video, the family felt “a lot of anger, a lot of frustration,” Walton told the AP. “More than anything, there was … a sense of just devastation, to know that this power system, these police officers, could stop her and so quickly take her life for no justifiable reason.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *